Translate

Monday 22 October 2012

Nina Canell, The Douglas Hyde Gallery, Trinity College, Dublin

My second visit that day was to this gallery and to be honest I was very disappointed with the contents and the presentation.

Basically there were a few plumbers pipes in a stand on the middle of the floor and I was left wondering was this a finished or unfinished art piece or some workman's station.

On the wall were 3 pictures and on close inspection they simply had rows of watermelon seeds glued to the inside of the glass.   Whatever she was trying to convey went right over my head.   I looked around and seen another 20 or so of similar pieces on the longer walls and I had a look at these but they were pretty much the same as the 3 previous pieces.

There was a small slide show in an adjacent room which showed pictures of everyday objects and on the walls were a set of small pictures some even using sweetie papers.

I was disappointed with this exhibition. In my opinion there was little passion or technical ability.   The impetus to be quirky or unique didn't go far enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment